Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:

There would be a handful of bands that have any sort of credible legacy from that period in the sense that a genuine music fan might conceivably list them as being among their favourite bands of all time, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, can't think of many others though.

That sounds really snobby! I just mean that second tier bands like Ash and Supergrass lasted a long time and built a loyal fanbase, just they would never get into the pantheon of music halls of fame type places.

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

1. From what did Super Furry Animals blast techno music at festivals where they appeared?

A tank

2. A photograph of which songwriter features on the cover art of Oasis' Definitely Maybe?

No idea

3. Name the horn section who feture on most of Blur's studio albums as well as a host of other Britpop acts recordings?

Holy shit

4. Leon Mayer was the perpetually anoraked singer/bassist for which shortlived Britpop act?

Jesus wept. 

5. Which (awful) bands first 3 albums featured a dog, a camper van and a tree on their sleeves?

Dodgy

6. Ocean Colour Scene's album title Moseley Shoals is a combination of which 2 places?

Two shit places?

7. Which bands logo was reminiscent of their record label's logo? (Name band and label)

What?

8. After leaving The Stone Roses, John Squire formed the critically derided band The Seahorses. Name their debut single which reached number 3 in the charts.

Love is the law

9. What were Blur formerly known as?

Seymore

10. In what pose did <BEEEEP> "I've started so i'll finish" In what pose did Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit feature on the cover of Vanity Fair under the title 'London Swings Again'?

In bed like John and Yoko

I had an idea worse than Police Academy 3

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Jimmer wrote:

1. From what did Super Furry Animals blast techno music at festivals where they appeared?

A tank

2. A photograph of which songwriter features on the cover art of Oasis' Definitely Maybe?

No idea

3. Name the horn section who feture on most of Blur's studio albums as well as a host of other Britpop acts recordings?

Holy shit

4. Leon Mayer was the perpetually anoraked singer/bassist for which shortlived Britpop act?

Jesus wept. 

5. Which (awful) bands first 3 albums featured a dog, a camper van and a tree on their sleeves?

Dodgy

6. Ocean Colour Scene's album title Moseley Shoals is a combination of which 2 places?

Two shit places?

7. Which bands logo was reminiscent of their record label's logo? (Name band and label)

What?

8. After leaving The Stone Roses, John Squire formed the critically derided band The Seahorses. Name their debut single which reached number 3 in the charts.

Love is the law

9. What were Blur formerly known as?

Seymore

10. In what pose did <BEEEEP> "I've started so i'll finish" In what pose did Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit feature on the cover of Vanity Fair under the title 'London Swings Again'?

In bed like John and Yoko

5! You win. Well done that man. Q.6 answer made me chuckle.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
zengomi wrote:

contestants & quiz masters

that'd be the 3 of you

what insights can you offer
on the bands that
engendered the quiz

I think only a small proportion of the millions of Britpop bands really made any impression outside the UK, and very few released records beyond 1995. 1995 was a bizarre year for music, as suddenly loads of kids starting making vaguely Beatles influenced pop, and the hot summer that year was probably a very important time for people of our generation as the music scene became temporarily vibrant in the sense that there was a clear new movement that was very popular and invaded the mainstrea75.18m.

However, looking back on it, a lot of bands were really pretty shit although we enjoyed it at the time. Each of us will have our own particular favourites that we still like, even if we don't listen to them often. For example Kenickie, a band that I really liked to the extent that I kept a water bottle because one of the band had drunk from it, while they made some fun singles, my Itunes shows that I only listened to 2 of their songs in the whole of 2010.

There would be a handful of bands that have any sort of credible legacy from that period in the sense that a genuine music fan might conceivably list them as being among their fa75.18vourite bands of all time, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, can't think of many others though. Radiohead came through at the same time but never quite fit into that group.

Paul
while i do greatly appreciate your take on the mid '90s crop of bands
i was asking about their predecessors

Je veux oublier le français, mais je ne peux pas.

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Jimmer wrote:
Paul J wrote:

Kenickie were bloody great, and I know the Jimmer accidentally on purpose brushed past Lauren Laverne and touched her arse once.
Some of these require guesses, and some are very hard, but have a go:

1. Who did Kenickie label as being ‘Tory Scum’?

The tories?#

The Spice Girls! They had named Maggie Thatcher as being the original spice girl or something.

2. I picked up a water bottle that had been partially drunk by which Kenickie band member during a gig at Blackwood Miners Institute, and then kept the bottle for ages and used to take it with me when I played squash or anything?

Laverne

Emmy Kate Montrose

3. What was the stage name of the drummer?

Skinz

Johnny X

4. What was his real name?

Steve

Pete Gofton


5. What was the relationship of the drummer to one of the girls in the band, and which girl?

Bf/GF - Laverne

Gert got this, it was Lauren's brother

6. What is my favourite Kenickie song?

Millionaire Sweeper, or you are a dick.

No, In Your Car.


7. What was the name of Kenickie’s second album?

In da club or summat?

50 Cent did In Da Club, Kenickie's first album was In The Club, their second was Get In


8. Lauren Laverne released a solo EP called Take These Flowers away- what unusual method did you have to follow to access one of the tracks?

"down" "load" ?

Close- you had to email an address like "thisbetterbeworthit@hotmail.com" and they'd email it back to you

9. If your friends all bitch you’re a what?

bastard?

Punka!


10. What TV show did a sort of parody of a Kenickie song that was quite faithful but didn’t really have any jokes or humour to it, so just seemed like a sort of waste of time given it was meant to be a comedy show? 

The Fast Show?

Smack The Pony

I got none, didn't i?

Gert wins 1-0!

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
Jimmer wrote:
Paul J wrote:

Kenickie were bloody great, and I know the Jimmer accidentally on purpose brushed past Lauren Laverne and touched her arse once.
Some of these require guesses, and some are very hard, but have a go:

1. Who did Kenickie label as being ‘Tory Scum’?

The tories?#

The Spice Girls! They had named Maggie Thatcher as being the original spice girl or something.

2. I picked up a water bottle that had been partially drunk by which Kenickie band member during a gig at Blackwood Miners Institute, and then kept the bottle for ages and used to take it with me when I played squash or anything?

Laverne

Emmy Kate Montrose

3. What was the stage name of the drummer?

Skinz

Johnny X

4. What was his real name?

Steve

Pete Gofton


5. What was the relationship of the drummer to one of the girls in the band, and which girl?

Bf/GF - Laverne

Gert got this, it was Lauren's brother

6. What is my favourite Kenickie song?

Millionaire Sweeper, or you are a dick.

No, In Your Car.


7. What was the name of Kenickie’s second album?

In da club or summat?

50 Cent did In Da Club, Kenickie's first album was In The Club, their second was Get In


8. Lauren Laverne released a solo EP called Take These Flowers away- what unusual method did you have to follow to access one of the tracks?

"down" "load" ?

Close- you had to email an address like "thisbetterbeworthit@hotmail.com" and they'd email it back to you

9. If your friends all bitch you’re a what?

bastard?

Punka!


10. What TV show did a sort of parody of a Kenickie song that was quite faithful but didn’t really have any jokes or humour to it, so just seemed like a sort of waste of time given it was meant to be a comedy show? 

The Fast Show?

Smack The Pony

I got none, didn't i?

Gert wins 1-0!

Woop woop!

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

zengomi wrote:
Paul J wrote:
zengomi wrote:

contestants & quiz masters

that'd be the 3 of you

what insights can you offer
on the bands that
engendered the quiz

I think only a small proportion of the millions of Britpop bands really made any impression outside the UK, and very few released records beyond 1995. 1995 was a bizarre year for music, as suddenly loads of kids starting making vaguely Beatles influenced pop, and the hot summer that year was probably a very important time for people of our generation as the music scene became temporarily vibrant in the sense that there was a clear new movement that was very popular and invaded the mainstrea75.18m.

However, looking back on it, a lot of bands were really pretty shit although we enjoyed it at the time. Each of us will have our own particular favourites that we still like, even if we don't listen to them often. For example Kenickie, a band that I really liked to the extent that I kept a water bottle because one of the band had drunk from it, while they made some fun singles, my Itunes shows that I only listened to 2 of their songs in the whole of 2010.

There would be a handful of bands that have any sort of credible legacy from that period in the sense that a genuine music fan might conceivably list them as being among their fa75.18vourite bands of all time, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, can't think of many others though. Radiohead came through at the same time but never quite fit into that group.

Paul
while i do greatly appreciate your take on the mid '90s crop of bands
i was asking about their predecessors

How do you mean? The early 90s Madchester bands etc, or the bands that those Britpop bands would describe as influences, eg. Beatles, Kinks, etc.?

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

1. From what did Super Furry Animals blast techno music at festivals where they appeared?

The Techno Tank!

2. A photograph of which songwriter features on the cover art of Oasis' Definitely Maybe?

Burt Bacharach (bototm left)

3. Name the horn section who feture on most of Blur's studio albums as well as a host of other Britpop acts recordings?

The Kick Horns

4. Leon Mayer was the perpetually anoraked singer/bassist for which shortlived Britpop act?

Northern Uproar

5. Which (awful) bands first 3 albums featured a dog, a camper van and a tree on their sleeves?

Dodgy

6. Ocean Colour Scene's album title Moseley Shoals is a combination of which 2 places?

Moseley, suburb in Brum and Muscle Shoals, the legendary soul recording studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

7. Which bands logo was reminiscent of their record label's logo? (Name band and label)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tLrhAmLUw8E/SeZ2HEu5WQI/AAAAAAAAADc/F6rZEfM82_U/s400/Cast+-+All+Change+-+Back.jpg

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/polydor_logo_2425.gif

8. After leaving The Stone Roses, John Squire formed the critically derided band The Seahorses. Name their debut single which reached number 3 in the charts.

Love is the law

9. What were Blur formerly known as?

Seymore

10. In what pose did <BEEEEP> "I've started so i'll finish" In what pose did Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit feature on the cover of Vanity Fair under the title 'London Swings Again'?

In bed with Union Jack duvet cover.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Get With The Realness!! wrote:

4. Leon Mayer was the perpetually anoraked singer/bassist for which shortlived Britpop act?

Northern Uproar

That was a good guess! How on earth do you know the name of the bassist from Northern Uproar???

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
Get With The Realness!! wrote:

4. Leon Mayer was the perpetually anoraked singer/bassist for which shortlived Britpop act?

Northern Uproar

That was a good guess! How on earth do you know the name of the bassist from Northern Uproar???

I have no idea! I did actually have to double check the surname, knew it was Leon something. I don't own a single NU record, couldn't name a song. But can just picture him in his anorak playing bass on Top Of The Pops and somehow know his name is Leon!

Actually, i did wiki him not long ago to get a picture to put in the thread about Surfer Blood to say i thought he looked like their singer. I suppose it stuck form that.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
zengomi wrote:
Paul J wrote:

I think only a small proportion of the millions of Britpop bands really made any impression outside the UK, and very few released records beyond 1995. 1995 was a bizarre year for music, as suddenly loads of kids starting making vaguely Beatles influenced pop, and the hot summer that year was probably a very important time for people of our generation as the music scene became temporarily vibrant in the sense that there was a clear new movement that was very popular and invaded the mainstrea75.18m.

However, looking back on it, a lot of bands were really pretty shit although we enjoyed it at the time. Each of us will have our own particular favourites that we still like, even if we don't listen to them often. For example Kenickie, a band that I really liked to the extent that I kept a water bottle because one of the band had drunk from it, while they made some fun singles, my Itunes shows that I only listened to 2 of their songs in the whole of 2010.

There would be a handful of bands that have any sort of credible legacy from that period in the sense that a genuine music fan might conceivably list them as being among their fa75.18vourite bands of all time, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, can't think of many others though. Radiohead came through at the same time but never quite fit into that group.

Paul
while i do greatly appreciate your take on the mid '90s crop of bands
i was asking about their predecessors

How do you mean? The early 90s Madchester bands etc, or the bands that those Britpop bands would describe as influences, eg. Beatles, Kinks, etc.?

JMC, Cocteau Twins, MBV, Pale Saints, Lush, Ride

Je veux oublier le français, mais je ne peux pas.

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

1. What was Ride's final album called?

2. Minchella was the awful named bassist in what awful britpop band?

3. Alex Lowe was the lead singer of which awful Britpop band?

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

6. Who sung about National Express?

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

9. Name any member of Neds Atomic Dustbin

10. What was the name of Bernard Butlers replacement in Suede.  For a bonus point, what town was he from?

I had an idea worse than Police Academy 3

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

zengomi wrote:
Paul J wrote:
zengomi wrote:

Paul
while i do greatly appreciate your take on the mid '90s crop of bands
i was asking about their predecessors

How do you mean? The early 90s Madchester bands etc, or the bands that those Britpop bands would describe as influences, eg. Beatles, Kinks, etc.?

JMC, Cocteau Twins, MBV, Pale Saints, Lush, Ride

Jimmer's the one to ask about Ride.


I have to admit none of those bands have had much of an impact on me personally, even in retrospect I've not bothered to investigate beyond listening to the odd MBV record that never really grabbed me.

Besides, the vast majority of my record collection is US bands really, even in 1995 I was more taken by Veruca Salt and Weezer than most of these bands we've been talking about.

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Jimmer wrote:

Pass on all except:

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

Therapy?? Double question mark as I'm not sure


5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur are shite

6. Who sung about National Express?

Divine Comedy

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

Don't know but wasn't it racist somehow? The Nazis?

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

Dad

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Jimmer wrote:

1. What was Ride's final album called?

No idea.

2. Minchella was the awful named bassist in what awful britpop band?

OCS. kkkkkkkk i never liked his name either. Something really horrible about it. poor bloke.

3. Alex Lowe was the lead singer of which awful Britpop band?

Menswe@r?

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

Toughie, no idea. Can't even think of a pre-britpop band that would be described as 'spunky' for a guess.

5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur Are Shite

6. Who sung about National Express?

Divine Comedy

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

Taj and the Mahal's?

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

Dad!

9. Name any member of Neds Atomic Dustbin

Ned

10. What was the name of Bernard Butlers replacement in Suede.  For a bonus point, what town was he from?

Oh, can't remember his name, but he looked like a posh boy. And actually a bit like Minchella if i remember correctly.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
Jimmer wrote:

Pass on all except:

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

Therapy?? Double question mark as I'm not sure


5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur are shite

6. Who sung about National Express?

Divine Comedy

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

Don't know but wasn't it racist somehow? The Nazis?

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

Dad

3 correct.

I had an idea worse than Police Academy 3

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:

5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur are shite

Same answer! Mine was a guess. Sounds about right though.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Get With The Realness!! wrote:
Jimmer wrote:

1. What was Ride's final album called?

No idea.

2. Minchella was the awful named bassist in what awful britpop band?

OCS. kkkkkkkk i never liked his name either. Something really horrible about it. poor bloke.

3. Alex Lowe was the lead singer of which awful Britpop band?

Menswe@r?

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

Toughie, no idea. Can't even think of a pre-britpop band that would be described as 'spunky' for a guess.

5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur Are Shite

6. Who sung about National Express?

Divine Comedy

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

Taj and the Mahal's?

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

Dad!

9. Name any member of Neds Atomic Dustbin

Ned

10. What was the name of Bernard Butlers replacement in Suede.  For a bonus point, what town was he from?

Oh, can't remember his name, but he looked like a posh boy. And actually a bit like Minchella if i remember correctly.

4.  Gert Wins.

I had an idea worse than Police Academy 3

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

1. What was Ride's final album called?

Tarantula

2. Minchella was the awful named bassist in what awful britpop band?

Ocean Colour Scene

3. Alex Lowe was the lead singer of which awful Britpop band?

Hurricane #1

4. Members of which spunky pre-britpop uk guitar act went on to perform as/in M Organ, Delakota, Muse, The Streets, Lily Allen (I think), Three Colours Red, The Wildhearts and about 2,000 other less succesful acts.

The Senseless Things (good band)

5. Mogwai had what t-shirt made about Blur?

Blur: Are Shite

6. Who sung about National Express?

The Divine Comedy

7. What was Crispin Mills post Kula Shaker band called?

The Jeevas

8. Complete this band name; Gay BLANK

Gay Dad

9. Name any member of Neds Atomic Dustbin

John Penny or Rat, or any of the others.

10. What was the name of Bernard Butlers replacement in Suede.  For a bonus point, what town was he from?

Richard Oakes.  From Bournemouth

I had an idea worse than Police Academy 3

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Was the Mogwai tee answer correct? Complete guess on my part. It does have a very nice ring to it though, particularly in a Scots accent.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

I see it was. Daz funneh.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Neds were just before my time. I remember older kids at school with Neds, Kingmaker and PWEI written on their bags, but at the time I was just into rave music. It was entirely Oasis that switched me on to 'guitar music'.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Get With The Realness!! wrote:

I see it was. Daz funneh.

Melody Maker described as being like Basingstoke declaring war on the UN. Also some Blur fans started wearing Mogwai Are Shite T-shirts at the time I think.

Respect the J-Score!

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Paul J wrote:
Get With The Realness!! wrote:

I see it was. Daz funneh.

Melody Maker described as being like Basingstoke declaring war on the UN. Also some Blur fans started wearing Mogwai Are Shite T-shirts at the time I think.

kkkkkkkkkkkk there was some serious beef going on back then! The other way round just doesn't work though.

"Shnake!"

Re: Would Pavement be your specialist subject on Mastermind?

Scottish special mini-quiz:

1. Name the Scottish pre-britpop band named after a character from a childrens TV series.

2. Graham Kemp and Fergus Lawrie formed which Scottish band?

3. Which shite Scottish band covered Britney Spears for a b-side?

4. How many studio albums have Teenage Fanclub released?

5. Name the Scottish frontman who has a son called Wolf.

"Shnake!"