(and setya...) kate! best of luck on the knee surgery! I realize I am two days late seeing this, so hopefully you're recovering already and Sparkling Hard all the while.
Oh no, not knee surgery, knee injury. And I blame Stephen Malkmus. This is squarely on his square shoulders. Look at the incontrovertible evidence:
1. Malkmus comes out with new record "declaratively" titled Shooting Off Sparklers.
2. Said record lives up to its hype.
3. Innocent whirling dirvishes such as myself are drawn into his hive of aural activity and as such, must dance. Must dance.
4. The songs cast a "light and dark" spell on me, as noted in the review thread.
5. I grow increasingly convinced that I can dance with impunity, that the spirits of the dance, Terpsichore and etc., if you will, are on my side.
6. Soon no move is off-limits.
7. Inevitably harsh reality rears its head, reminding me with a thud -- knee splitting into fast face plant -- that while I can still groove, cut the concrete, rock out, I may not quite be able to do so with the fervor of an unchecked 25 yo or even a lither 38 yo, Depak Chopra notwithstanding.
8. I find myself reduced to head bobbing.
The prosecution rests her case.
I'm going to sue him for gross indifference to the consequences of sound. I expect he'll be forced to wear the title "Saint Vitus the Younger" like a kind of Scarlet "S."
Meantime I've got a new high-tech super tight knee brace that hinges, a high tech pull on one that's more flexi for later, and am drinking tons of bone broth. I have two weeks until the local shows. Might I be able to pull off more than a head bob? I'm frightened but at least wouldn't mind being able to sway, too.
Already I find myself unable to contain myself when hearing the tunes. Just this morning after my shower I was getting ready and deluding myself that wearing the big brace gave me license to at least dance from the hips up (kinda worked but really pushes the edge of the tears.)
I'm going to try to cool my jets and actually recover. Thanks for the good wishes. I probably will need knee surgery one day but -- fingers crossed -- that time isn't quite yet.
And I forgive SM for being a kick ass rocker, even if I have to suffer for his art! At least it's an excruciatingly exquisite pain. (And sometimes there's nothing better than just being totally still and letting the music enter me in space rather than in motion.)
Rock on rockers, #SparkleHard