Topic: Portland June 30

Anyone have any details on this?  New music? Set list?

Re: Portland June 30

dunno, but I'm feeling a sea change is coming...

Re: Portland June 30

There was a video twittered, but i think its gone


Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

4 (edited by setyabacksetyabacksetya 2017-07-05 10:16:12)

Re: Portland June 30

whooooaaa nelly. "I been doing electronic style of late. . ."

https://twitter.com/MalkmusAndJicks/sta … 6954671105

https://twitter.com/adamgarcia77/status … 8093259776

https://twitter.com/adamgarcia77/status … 0204656640

Re: Portland June 30

So... do folks think this is the direction of the album they've been working on, or more of a potential SM electronica side project? They appeared to be doing tracking with live instruments at a big studio, which wouldn't really be necessary for this?

I'm totally willing to give something like this a fair shake; have always been able to get interested in steve's lyrics even on the songs that haven't totally grabbed me. But this would be new territory for me, to say the least. I might be into it. But I just hope it's not the end of the guitar rock thing for the Jicks, still think they have a lot left to give there.


Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Portland June 30

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:

So... do folks think this is the direction of the album they've been working on, or more of a potential SM electronica side project? They appeared to be doing tracking with live instruments at a big studio, which wouldn't really be necessary for this?

I'm totally willing to give something like this a fair shake; have always been able to get interested in steve's lyrics even on the songs that haven't totally grabbed me. But this would be new territory for me, to say the least. I might be into it. But I just hope it's not the end of the guitar rock thing for the Jicks, still think they have a lot left to give there.

Is this "Kid A" Malkmus style ? Haha

Instagram: matador_22

Re: Portland June 30

Has a Robyn Turns 26/Kindling For The Master vibe. Sounds awesome smile
I'd be down with a Jicks live instro take on this, a cross pollination lp of electronic and organic tunes, or 100% Malkronica.

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains

Re: Portland June 30

MALKTRONiKA: THE REBIRTH OF STEVE

Re: Portland June 30

The find you made on Funk's Insta sounds a hell of a lot like SM riffing. His guitar is almost as distinctive as his voice.

WOAJ came out at the start of 2014. It has been a long time. This might be wishful thinking, but isn't it entirely feasible that a new Jicks album could be in the works AND SM could be crafting some "solo" or side-project electronic tunes?

It would make some sense --

We all know that Malk has had album-worthy songs ready from the MT era to the WOAJ tour that would've been enough for a Jicks record by now. Understanding that he and the band may not feel the same way about all those tunes that we would, it still seems fair to say that at worst case the Jicks have had a few bullets in the chamber to kick off a new album pretty much since the day WOAJ released.

We also know that Jake did the Blesst Chest album and has had a fairly active couple of years apart from the Jicks around that. I'm not sure what Mike and Joanna have been up to. My memory is bad, but has Joanna bounced around with Quasi the last few years on the few bits they've popped up for?

- Nathan

Re: Portland June 30

I could see a solo malktronica, and a jicks proper, then into reunion 2020.  The last reunion thing was like a 2  1/2 year commit, so that might explain alot of the down time  now. I saw Malk at the Paul Major thing, and the bastard was unreasonably relaxed, just like someone who might have two new albums in the can!!!!  And his swing through nyc might have been a label visit above all else!!


Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Portland June 30

regular stairs wrote:

I could see a solo malktronica, and a jicks proper, then into reunion 2020.  The last reunion thing was like a 2  1/2 year commit, so that might explain alot of the down time  now. I saw Malk at the Paul Major thing, and the bastard was unreasonably relaxed, just like someone who might have two new albums in the can!!!!  And his swing through nyc might have been a label visit above all else!!

Do you think they would do  a full on reunion tour though ? Like they hit tons of
Cities last time. I feel this time based on what I read it would only be a few limited shows. Maybe like NYC and sf. And possibly only for benefits or some charity ? Of course all speculation based on interviews.

Instagram: matador_22

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Portland June 30

nguideau wrote:

The find you made on Funk's Insta sounds a hell of a lot like SM riffing. His guitar is almost as distinctive as his voice.

WOAJ came out at the start of 2014. It has been a long time. This might be wishful thinking, but isn't it entirely feasible that a new Jicks album could be in the works AND SM could be crafting some "solo" or side-project electronic tunes?

It would make some sense --

We all know that Malk has had album-worthy songs ready from the MT era to the WOAJ tour that would've been enough for a Jicks record by now. Understanding that he and the band may not feel the same way about all those tunes that we would, it still seems fair to say that at worst case the Jicks have had a few bullets in the chamber to kick off a new album pretty much since the day WOAJ released.

We also know that Jake did the Blesst Chest album and has had a fairly active couple of years apart from the Jicks around that. I'm not sure what Mike and Joanna have been up to. My memory is bad, but has Joanna bounced around with Quasi the last few years on the few bits they've popped up for?

I'm down for any and all of it; just bring on the new music and hopefully some tour dates in any capacity.

Jake does seem like he's stayed the busiest. He has that X-Ray records thing going on as well. And maybe delivering pizzas? Ahh the joys of instagram. I didn't get to see Quasi play but never remembered hearing about Jo going on tour with them. Could be wrong.

I would rank Pavement reunion stuff 3rd on my list of priorities at this point, but I'm sure I'd buy a ticket if it happens. I just really want some fresh stuff outta the Jicks first and foremost. And I'm definitely excited by the 15 second clip from Halfling.