Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Topic: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Picked up some of these today. Not sure if they named it after the Pavement LP, but I know the owner is a huge Ween fan (the entire menu at the pub is named after Ween songs). so we know he has good taste music.

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/beers/wowee-zowee/

...beer is ok. Not great. I prefer their Huma Lupa Licious IPA.

I dream in beige.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Rad!

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Wowee-Zowee-web-2017.jpg

"It´s a fine line between clever and..eh.. stupid"

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

best on ice in New York city


Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

http://www.foambrewers.com/

some familiar names

Mindless Child of Motherhood

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Love it! Shorts is my fav brewery by far. etlchow (from this board) and I asked Joe one time if the beer was named after the album or the Zappa song, and he said he'd leave that up to us, but the Zappa song is spelled with 'i's (Wowie Zowie). It was the beer my wife and I had on tap at our Wedding smile heres a pic of one I had last week while listening to the Lost Tapes collection:
https://i.imgur.com/3aQpNsHl.jpg

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Nice. I think I posted about this a few years ago, as well. I bought it almost exclusively for the name -- was not expecting the mint and mango combination to appeal to me, but I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was decent.

I know these are fighting words around the Mitten for a lot of people, but for me, while I admire Shorts willingness to push the envelope and always try new things with their beers (as well as their dedication to Michigan), they are just so hit and miss. I always say that I think everyone loves half of Shorts beers and fucking hates the other half, and no two people love and hate the same ones.

- Nathan

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

nguideau wrote:

Nice. I think I posted about this a few years ago, as well. I bought it almost exclusively for the name -- was not expecting the mint and mango combination to appeal to me, but I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was decent.

I know these are fighting words around the Mitten for a lot of people, but for me, while I admire Shorts willingness to push the envelope and always try new things with their beers (as well as their dedication to Michigan), they are just so hit and miss. I always say that I think everyone loves half of Shorts beers and fucking hates the other half, and no two people love and hate the same ones.

Not unlike Fall fans preferences wink I really love Shorts but obviously not all their variants. I believe they have over one thousand at the moment !

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
nguideau wrote:

Nice. I think I posted about this a few years ago, as well. I bought it almost exclusively for the name -- was not expecting the mint and mango combination to appeal to me, but I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was decent.

I know these are fighting words around the Mitten for a lot of people, but for me, while I admire Shorts willingness to push the envelope and always try new things with their beers (as well as their dedication to Michigan), they are just so hit and miss. I always say that I think everyone loves half of Shorts beers and fucking hates the other half, and no two people love and hate the same ones.

Not unlike Fall fans preferences wink I really love Shorts but obviously not all their variants. I believe they have over one thousand at the moment !

Hah! That is a great analogy.

- Nathan

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Not a fan off all of Short's beers, but most of them I've tried are pretty damn good. I usually can pick what I'll like and not like from the ingredients though.

Favorite Michigan brewery for me is Dark Horse. Love the "Smells Like A Safety Meeting" ...also wins for greatest name for a beer ever. big_smile

I dream in beige.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Fatah Ruark wrote:

Not a fan off all of Short's beers, but most of them I've tried are pretty damn good. I usually can pick what I'll like and not like from the ingredients though.

Favorite Michigan brewery for me is Dark Horse. Love the "Smells Like A Safety Meeting" ...also wins for greatest name for a beer ever. big_smile

That is a good one! Dark Horse Crooked Tree used to be my fav until I pledged myself to Shorts. I think my favorite aspect of the company is their creativity/brazenness. I've said it before but I think Michigan is really spoiled with quality craft beer (most likely a result of lots of fresh water).

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Did you guys think Safety Meeting changed this year? The six pack I got tasted different -- and BAD -- from previous years. It was very yeasty and grainy. Then later in the season I saw they released a Citra Safety Meeting, tried it, and it tasted like what I remember from years past... so I kind of wonder if they always used citra hops in it before and actually changed the naming or something.

My favorite is Founder's. I have some biases here. But for me they rarely miss, and they are large enough to where they produce at a scale and level of professionalism that year-to-year when the seasonal or limited favorites come back around, you know it will taste like it always did (unless of course it is a beer like a barrel aged that by nature varies a bit per batch and per barrel).

I think I am guilty of overlooking Bell's to a degree. They have just been around and set the standard, not just in Michigan, but they are really one of the standard bearer's for craft beer nationwide. So it's almost hard not to take them for granted... most of their experimentation and limited varieties are taproom/general store only, so compared to Founder's or Short's they just don't seem as "interesting" on the shelf. But like I said, I think I often take for granted the fact of how damn good and reliable they are. Like, Two Hearted and Porter are available everywhere year round  for under $10/sixer and are just great beers.

- Nathan

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Founders is also my favorite brewer, and Red's Rye my favorite beer.

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Chiming in since I live in Michigan and like beer.

I've spent most of my adult life in Ohio and Michigan. I've lived in Michigan since 2011. I like Ohio and miss living there. But when it comes to beer Michigan wins. It's not even close.

Dark Horse's raspberry beer is excellent. Unlike many berry beers it isn't overly sweet and actually tastes like fresh fruit and not jam.

The past few years I've been growing hops in my garden. A friend uses them in his homebrew. My plants are small so we only get enough hops for a small batch of beer. But it's good beer and fun to do. We've joked about using the hops to make a cream ale and calling it Cream of Gold.


Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

funandfun wrote:

Chiming in since I live in Michigan and like beer.

I've spent most of my adult life in Ohio and Michigan. I've lived in Michigan since 2011. I like Ohio and miss living there. But when it comes to beer Michigan wins. It's not even close.

Dark Horse's raspberry beer is excellent. Unlike many berry beers it isn't overly sweet and actually tastes like fresh fruit and not jam.

The past few years I've been growing hops in my garden. A friend uses them in his homebrew. My plants are small so we only get enough hops for a small batch of beer. But it's good beer and fun to do. We've joked about using the hops to make a cream ale and calling it Cream of Gold.

Omg yes please to Cream of Gold beer smile

It’s reassuring to see/hear people confirm that Michigan’s beer game is as strong as I think it is. Have you ever tried Hoof Hearted from Ohio? They have horrible art and a stupid name but I’m intrigued and feel like their beers are probably really good. Going to have to get down there someday.

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 754

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/stephenm/stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/include/parser.php on line 807

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

funandfun wrote:

Chiming in since I live in Michigan and like beer.

I've spent most of my adult life in Ohio and Michigan. I've lived in Michigan since 2011. I like Ohio and miss living there. But when it comes to beer Michigan wins. It's not even close.

Dark Horse's raspberry beer is excellent. Unlike many berry beers it isn't overly sweet and actually tastes like fresh fruit and not jam.

The past few years I've been growing hops in my garden. A friend uses them in his homebrew. My plants are small so we only get enough hops for a small batch of beer. But it's good beer and fun to do. We've joked about using the hops to make a cream ale and calling it Cream of Gold.

Nice! Keep that going!

I don't think it is a stretch, nor my bias, to say that Michigan is at worst one of the three best states in the country for craft beer. California is still the champ and it seems unlikely that'll ever change. Colorado and Oregon are very strong. I'd put them in a three-way tie with Michigan for second place, it ultimately comes down to your biases and preferences at that point.

- Nathan

Re: Wowee Zowee ... the beer.

Curious to hear why you consider California the champ. I realize I have only had a small sample of their macro micro brews, but in all honesty Sierra Nevada, Green Flash, Russian River, Modern Times et al have paled (haha) in comparison to Shorts, Founders, Dark Horse, Bells. Granted, I have had far more varieties by those breweries (and lots of misses on their part) but I am genuinely interested in what makes CA stand out. Lagunitas is good, but they kind seem to be global at this point and again, I just don't think they're as good as some of the MI breweries mentioned above. Thanks for the convo on a cold Monday smile

watch out for the gypsy children in electric dresses they're insane
i hear they live in crematoriums and smoke your remains