Re: The Official New Album Thread

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/a … -hard.html

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Nice and candid. Good structure.

I can't contribute to what Jicks songs I like more or less because I can never remember the names of songs.

I will also add that a lot of you guys list song names that haven't even appeared on albums...yet...and I have never heard any of them.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

kate h wrote:

Nice and candid. Good structure.

I can't contribute to what Jicks songs I like more or less because I can never remember the names of songs.

I will also add that a lot of you guys list song names that haven't even appeared on albums...yet...and I have never heard any of them.


Well, Kate.... You are still very valuable to this board, whether or not you pay attention to song names. The track numbers from which and whatever record, can be helpful!

And, sometimes, we have to make up our own names, for the unreleased tunes, or we get them from setlist pictures.

My point being, there are a lot of us out here, that will always be helpful with ya, because of your quality contributions!
Of course!
Smiley Face Emoji....

now, they're gonna burn me....

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Count me in on not remembering song titles. Also count me in on not hating anything SM has done. I have songs I like more and I have songs I like less.

Got my shipping notification from Matador. Hasn't even been picked up by the PO.

Didn't the last Jicks album pre-order arrive a few days late?

I don't order anything but Jicks stuff from Matador so I don't recall their pre-order performance record.

I guess now we have streaming so worse comes to worse I can use Google Music on Friday.

I dream in beige.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

fattyma4 wrote:
kate h wrote:

Nice and candid. Good structure.

I can't contribute to what Jicks songs I like more or less because I can never remember the names of songs.

I will also add that a lot of you guys list song names that haven't even appeared on albums...yet...and I have never heard any of them.


Well, Kate.... You are still very valuable to this board, whether or not you pay attention to song names. The track numbers from which and whatever record, can be helpful!

And, sometimes, we have to make up our own names, for the unreleased tunes, or we get them from setlist pictures.

My point being, there are a lot of us out here, that will always be helpful with ya, because of your quality contributions!
Of course!
Smiley Face Emoji....

Well aren't you kind! smile . I sometimes think...wow, been a Pave/Jicks fan for a big portion of my life and fanning it up right in the fan hood so, it's a long time knowing some of you cats! I like it.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

i got LP via media mail NYC to NYC today from 2 days ago +/-...
Album's kinda fuckin great
yeah...

Re: The Official New Album Thread

kenickie wrote:

also related to The Ringer, SM had an entertaining chat on The Watch (one of The Ringer's million podcasts, this one dedicated to TV, movies... and I guess The Jicks).

says he regrets opening the self-titled with "Black Book"!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/thewatchpod

I hate that song.  Probably the only Malkmus song I don't like.  I burn my own copy of the self-titled without that tune and add some of the great b-sides.

I self-medicate with drugs and alcohol to help treat my extreme social anxiety.

258 (edited by Future Man 2018-05-15 06:39:24)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Black Book is AWESOME gosh you dummies.

In that NYT interview, he mentions he ripped off pretty directly three The Fall songs... anyone venture a guess to the songs he's talking about? I never really listened to the Fall and would be interested in their most "Pavement-y" songs or album.

EDIT... ok I searched and the top similar songs seem to be "The Classical" and "New Face in Hell." Gonna listen after finish up a Mirror Traffic listen.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

regular stairs wrote:

i got LP via media mail NYC to NYC today from 2 days ago +/-...
Album's kinda fuckin great
yeah...


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSwMKZZXjo0sq4irZsfxVJJ6-4hG9pKgu0eS1rNqZGf6kdRo4H

Re: The Official New Album Thread

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:
regular stairs wrote:

i got LP via media mail NYC to NYC today from 2 days ago +/-...
Album's kinda fuckin great
yeah...


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSwMKZZXjo0sq4irZsfxVJJ6-4hG9pKgu0eS1rNqZGf6kdRo4H


just want to say this movie makes me happy

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Jesus Christ wrote:
setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:
regular stairs wrote:

i got LP via media mail NYC to NYC today from 2 days ago +/-...
Album's kinda fuckin great
yeah...


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSwMKZZXjo0sq4irZsfxVJJ6-4hG9pKgu0eS1rNqZGf6kdRo4H


just want to say this movie makes me happy


GAWWWSH!!!!

Re: The Official New Album Thread

bthoman888 wrote:
seneca wrote:
namenamename wrote:

Btw I’ve got the tab for Solid Silk if anyone wants it. It’s easy though.

Yooo


I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

Cool, I’ll write it out on here, was gonna just post a photo but I don’t know how.

This is almost as good as my last signature.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

two more sleeps!

This is almost as good as my last signature.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

To be really clear, my "least favorites" are still songs that are good. wink

My copy of Sparkle should be arriving today from Matador via USPS. I paid the extra for the 2 day priority mail to make sure I got it early!

- Nathan

Re: The Official New Album Thread

I'm 1 track in and 1 beer deep. Cast Off... holy shit what a great opener. May you all sparkle hard af this evening.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi298jRHEX- … _X4eNRD80/

- Nathan

Re: The Official New Album Thread

nguideau wrote:

I'm 1 track in and 1 beer deep. Cast Off... holy shit what a great opener. May you all sparkle hard af this evening.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi298jRHEX- … _X4eNRD80/


It's SO gooooooooood!

Listened 3+ times today.

The anticipation was pretty well worth it!

Upon first day listens, it's a pretty solid B+ record. (I would consider myself to be a rough and tough grader, though.)

Already can't wait for all of the Day #2 listens! Hahahahaha!

now, they're gonna burn me....

Re: The Official New Album Thread

nguideau wrote:

I'm 1 track in and 1 beer deep. Cast Off... holy shit what a great opener. May you all sparkle hard af this evening.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi298jRHEX- … _X4eNRD80/

The riffage in Kite shreds so good!

- Nathan

Re: The Official New Album Thread

fattyma4 wrote:
nguideau wrote:

I'm 1 track in and 1 beer deep. Cast Off... holy shit what a great opener. May you all sparkle hard af this evening.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi298jRHEX- … _X4eNRD80/


It's SO gooooooooood!

Listened 3+ times today.

The anticipation was pretty well worth it!

Upon first day listens, it's a pretty solid B+ record. (I would consider myself to be a rough and tough grader, though.)

Already can't wait for all of the Day #2 listens! Hahahahaha!

Just finished it... it's a tighter album than they've ever made, but as such sacrifices some of the wandering brilliance of tracks like Surreal Teenagers or RET or even 1%. I don't know how I'd grade it yet. But I know it's really dang good.

- Nathan

269 (edited by Overnight Failure 2018-05-17 03:55:27)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Is that the compact disc logo on the back of the vinyl release?

Also: Any word on a bonus track? Every Jicks album has had one at least on the foreign release... P-Vine in Japan. (Polish Mule, Entire Pig Lib EP, Wow-Ass Jeans, Walk Into a Mirror + Carl The Clod, Polvo, Pick Up The Spare)...

270

Re: The Official New Album Thread

USPS says my expected delivery is Monday the 21st!?  the fuck

the boy your mother wanted you to meet

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Overnight Failure wrote:

Is that the compact disc logo on the back of the vinyl release?

Also: Any word on a bonus track? Every Jicks album has had one at least on the foreign release... P-Vine in Japan. (Polish Mule, Entire Pig Lib EP, Wow-Ass Jeans, Walk Into a Mirror + Carl The Clod, Polvo, Pick Up The Spare)...


Excellent question.

I self-medicate with drugs and alcohol to help treat my extreme social anxiety.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Future Man wrote:

Black Book is AWESOME gosh you dummies.

In that NYT interview, he mentions he ripped off pretty directly three The Fall songs... anyone venture a guess to the songs he's talking about? I never really listened to the Fall and would be interested in their most "Pavement-y" songs or album.

EDIT... ok I searched and the top similar songs seem to be "The Classical" and "New Face in Hell." Gonna listen after finish up a Mirror Traffic listen.

I'm sure you've prob seen it by now, but here ya go...

"There's another song on Slanted and Enchanted called "Conduit for Sale!" that's very similar to "New Face in Hell" by the Fall. There's a song called "Fame Throwa" that's very Fall, especially the chorus. And "I've got one holy life to live" [a.k.a. "Jackals, False Grails: The Lonesome Era"] is "The Classical" done differently. So that's four solid songs I can directly trace to the lineage of specific songs by the Fall. The rest of the album, I don't really hear the Fall. But that's a lot."

from the Rolling Stone thing
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/step … fe-w520223

Re: The Official New Album Thread

The fourth one that he mentioned that's not in that quote is Our Singer.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

bob wrote:

USPS says my expected delivery is Monday the 21st!?  the fuck

Domino didn't even give me a tracking number. I actually don't even know who the carrier is. As long as the download link works on time I'll be happy enough.

If Domino has it set to go active at 12am on the 18th then I should be able to listen at home tonight.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Yeah, I ponied up for the 2 day shipping from Matador for this reason.

- Nathan