Re: The Official New Album Thread

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:
muzak wrote:

My record came in warped and is currently still under a stack of heavy books hoping it will flatten. Stupid Texas sun. Fuckity fuck.


That is lame zak! Has this happened to you before?

molotov wrote:

¿dónde está la entrada de Jesu-Cristo sobre Bike Lane?

Es solo una canción, no una declaración política...

I agree, auto-tune CAN be cool in certain scenarios. I'm a believer!

What, no?

¡Ja!

"Bike lane. I was sad to see JCs bike lane thread go away because I think there’s room for that kind of discussion here, but anyway. "

302 (edited by muzak 2018-05-21 05:45:26)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:
muzak wrote:

My record came in warped and is currently still under a stack of heavy books hoping it will flatten. Stupid Texas sun. Fuckity fuck.


That is lame zak! Has this happened to you before?

Yes. I don't order vinyl in the summer, if I can avoid it, for this reason. I was surprised to see it warped so badly considering it's May, but we've already been in the upper-90s, so the mail trucks are pretty toasty. It's flattening out quite nicely. I'll open it up and play it tonight.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

bob wrote:

I got mine today.  But theres a big crease in the sleeve, the hole is slightly too small (meaning I have to force it onto the player), and there’s already pops on a couple songs. On a brand new record sad

Damn bob, that sucks. The center hole was a bit snug on mine, but the record was flat as a pancake and sounds great. Remember on Jagbags how Matador had some issues with the quality of the Pick Up the Spare pressing -- you might want to reach out to them and ask to make it right.

- Nathan

304

Re: The Official New Album Thread

https://media.giphy.com/media/8hYNv5NmvWUvERD3ZD/giphy.gif

305 (edited by namenamename 2018-06-06 04:53:54)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

namenamename wrote:
bthoman888 wrote:
seneca wrote:

Yooo


I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

Cool, I’ll write it out on here, was gonna just post a photo but I don’t know how.

Try these moves:

E  -   -   -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   x -  - x
B  -  -    -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   2 -  - 0 
G  4  4  2  2  0  0  -  -  -   -   -   -   2 - -  0
D  -  -   -   -   -   -  4  4  2  2  0  0  2 -  - 0
G  -  -  -    -  -   -   -   -   -   -   -  -  2 -  - 0
C  -  -  -   -   -   -    -  -   -   -   -   - x -  -  x

Make up an innocent average girl   ...  knows..so amazing       

E  -   -   -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   x -  - x  - - x
B  -  -    -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   2 -  - 0  - - 7
G  4  4  2  2  0  0  -  -  -   -   -   -   2 - -  0 - -  7
D  -  -   -   -   -   -  4  4  2  2  0  0  2 -  - 0 - -  7
G  -  -  -    -  -   -   -   -   -   -   -  -  2 -  - 0 - -  7
C  -  -  -   -   -   -    -  -   -   -   -   - x -  -  x - -  x

Wealth and poverty                    out ...know... have to

E  -   -   -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   x -  - x  - - x
B  -  -    -  -  -   -   -  -  -   -   -   -   2 -  - 0  - - 7
G  4  4  2  2  0  0  -  -  -   -   -   -   2 - -  0 - -  7
D  -  -   -   -   -   -  4  4  2  2  0  0  2 -  - 0 - -  7
G  -  -  -    -  -   -   -   -   -   -   -  -  2 -  - 0 - -  7
C  -  -  -   -   -   -    -  -   -   -   -   - x -  -  x - -  x

  forget

E - 7 - - 9 - - - 10- -12 - 14- - -17 - 14- -17 - -2 - -
B - 8 - - 10 - -  8- - 10- -12 - - - - - - - - - - - - 2 - -
G - 7 - - 9 - - - 7- -  9- - 12- - - - - - - - - - - - -2-  -
D - 0 - - 0- - -  0- - -0 - -0 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2- -
G - x- - -x - - - x- - -x - -x - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2-  -
C - x - - x - - -  x- - - x- - x- - - - - - - - - - - - - x- - - 

I'll write out middle section later, the guitar at work is untunable due to a missing machine
head and it's doing my head in to try and play along our of tune. I'm pretty sure it's
just a handful of barre chords.

Nearly done with future suite, which I think is in CGDGAD. Looks like he's returning to the
RET era tunings after a spell in open D?

This is almost as good as my last signature.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

just got a chance to run through this. i dig it. thanks!

Re: The Official New Album Thread

bthoman888 wrote:

just got a chance to run through this. i dig it. thanks!

No worries, thanks!

This is almost as good as my last signature.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Nicccce - easy, sounds good and is fun -

safe to say CG tunning is the standard tuning 4 the boarders : p

honestly by now I forgot how to play in standard!    ; P

Re: The Official New Album Thread

This album is a grower.

Been listening to Malk since 93 and what I most like about him is how every album has been a grower. I almost never perceive what each album has to reveal without many multiple repeat plays. I can go back to any album even to this day and still find something new or interesting or surprising. I guess that's how you become an obsessive fan or at least what explains my fandom.

That being said, I think this is the Jicks finest album.

Saw him a few nites ago and he played every track off the album. I suppose a lot of veterans would be content to play a few new tracks and mine the old ones. What a remarkable approach, playing the entire new album in front of 300 or 400 fans in a bar.  It helps me find the patience to wait the three or four years between albums and tours. Go Steve Go!

Re: The Official New Album Thread

deniro in the deer hunter wrote:

This album is a grower.

Been listening to Malk since 93 and what I most like about him is how every album has been a grower. I almost never perceive what each album has to reveal without many multiple repeat plays. I can go back to any album even to this day and still find something new or interesting or surprising. I guess that's how you become an obsessive fan or at least what explains my fandom.

That being said, I think this is the Jicks finest album.

Saw him a few nites ago and he played every track off the album. I suppose a lot of veterans would be content to play a few new tracks and mine the old ones. What a remarkable approach, playing the entire new album in front of 300 or 400 fans in a bar.  It helps me find the patience to wait the three or four years between albums and tours. Go Steve Go!

nice! what night did you see? can you confirm they played Let Them Eat Vowels and Rattler?

the former was as of yet unplayed, and the latter has only appeared once...

Re: The Official New Album Thread

namenamename...saw Matador posted a setlist last week w/ the new tunings if that helps

brand new tuning for Sparkle Hard! CECEGC.  i tabbed out Middle America as CECGBE, so i'll fix that one. must be a nightmare tuning that on a 12-string


CAST OFF              CGDGBE
FUTURE SUITE       CGDGBE
SOLID SILK           CGDGBE (1/2 STEP DOWN BF#C#F#A#D#)
BIKE LANE             CGDGBE
MIDDLE AMERICA  CECEGC
RATTLER                ???
SHIGGY                 CGDGBE
KITE                      DADF#AD
BRETHREN             ???
REFUTE                 CECEGC
DIFFICULTIES       CECEGC (1/2 STEP UP C#FC#FG#C#)
LTEV                     ???

Re: The Official New Album Thread

realmac wrote:
deniro in the deer hunter wrote:

This album is a grower.

Been listening to Malk since 93 and what I most like about him is how every album has been a grower. I almost never perceive what each album has to reveal without many multiple repeat plays. I can go back to any album even to this day and still find something new or interesting or surprising. I guess that's how you become an obsessive fan or at least what explains my fandom.

That being said, I think this is the Jicks finest album.

Saw him a few nites ago and he played every track off the album. I suppose a lot of veterans would be content to play a few new tracks and mine the old ones. What a remarkable approach, playing the entire new album in front of 300 or 400 fans in a bar.  It helps me find the patience to wait the three or four years between albums and tours. Go Steve Go!

nice! what night did you see? can you confirm they played Let Them Eat Vowels and Rattler?

the former was as of yet unplayed, and the latter has only appeared once...



I suppose I was a bit too literal. No Rattler and Difficulties sans LTEV. Saw them at the Grog Shop here in Cleveland Hts. But that's a very large chunk off the new album. I was perfectly happy for the Jicks to allow the new tunes to shine. For all I know, that's what gives them the buzz; playing the new stuff that keeps them energized.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

Sportspersons might enjoy: Stephen Malkmus shares his secret fishing spot up north in Wisconsin: http://radiomilwaukee.org/discover-musi … interview/

Re: The Official New Album Thread

kate h wrote:

Sportspersons might enjoy: Stephen Malkmus shares his secret fishing spot up north in Wisconsin: http://radiomilwaukee.org/discover-musi … interview/

I'm genuinely staggered. Never saw Malkmus as a guy who would be into fishing in the slightest. Then again, I don't know why I thought he wouldn't be into it.

---------- Do you ask that question often?
(\_/) 
(O.o)
(> <)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

StefanMalkmus wrote:
kate h wrote:

Sportspersons might enjoy: Stephen Malkmus shares his secret fishing spot up north in Wisconsin: http://radiomilwaukee.org/discover-musi … interview/

I'm genuinely staggered. Never saw Malkmus as a guy who would be into fishing in the slightest. Then again, I don't know why I thought he wouldn't be into it.

Fishing and indie rock are the two passions of my life. Makes perfect sense to me but I’m sure it’s odd. When you’re drifting down the Mississippi Ntl Riverway at about 10pm on an October night with no other human beings in sight, listening to college radio and sipping a can of Hamm’s, everything just fits together.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

I love a bit of fishing too. Chris Yates is my hero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5tmblk42Y

"Shnake!"

317

Re: The Official New Album Thread

my wife's family is super into fishing so when we visit them up in michigan that's always a big part of it.  i dunno, it's ok i guess but i get bored with it pretty quickly.  like, if the appeal is sitting by a river/lake having a beer, i can do that without fishing.  plus even when i do manage to catch something (rare) i usually just feel bad for the fish, even if i'm gonna release

the boy your mother wanted you to meet

Re: The Official New Album Thread

bob wrote:

my wife's family is super into fishing so when we visit them up in michigan that's always a big part of it.  i dunno, it's ok i guess but i get bored with it pretty quickly.  like, if the appeal is sitting by a river/lake having a beer, i can do that without fishing.  plus even when i do manage to catch something (rare) i usually just feel bad for the fish, even if i'm gonna release

100%. Happy to sip a good beer from a chair, don't need the fishing to go with it.

- Nathan

Re: The Official New Album Thread

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:
StefanMalkmus wrote:
kate h wrote:

Sportspersons might enjoy: Stephen Malkmus shares his secret fishing spot up north in Wisconsin: http://radiomilwaukee.org/discover-musi … interview/

I'm genuinely staggered. Never saw Malkmus as a guy who would be into fishing in the slightest. Then again, I don't know why I thought he wouldn't be into it.

Fishing and indie rock are the two passions of my life. Makes perfect sense to me but I’m sure it’s odd. When you’re drifting down the Mississippi Ntl Riverway at about 10pm on an October night with no other human beings in sight, listening to college radio and sipping a can of Hamm’s, everything just fits together.

When you put it that way, It does make a lot of sense!

bob wrote:

my wife's family is super into fishing so when we visit them up in michigan that's always a big part of it.  i dunno, it's ok i guess but i get bored with it pretty quickly.  like, if the appeal is sitting by a river/lake having a beer, i can do that without fishing.  plus even when i do manage to catch something (rare) i usually just feel bad for the fish, even if i'm gonna release

I have a friend who's really into fishing; he'd been begging me to go along with him for years, and I'm on a "expand your horizons" kick. I've gone a couple times, and bought a cheap all in one fly fishing kit.

I'm not super into it, I don't dislike it, but it's cool going a couple of times in the summer. For me, it's mostly about just hanging out with my friend. I also think fishing is a valuable, if antiquated skill; I've lived in Suburbia since forever, where the super market is always 10 minutes away. It helps give a greater respect of what it takes to get food to your plate. Maybe it's silly, I want to connect with the woods, but I'm not a woodsman at all lol. Everyone should learn how to change a tire, and learn how to fish; character building, independence, all that shit. Still, no way I'm getting up every Saturday, at 5am and wading in the water for 3ish hours. And I still don't really know how to change a tire.

I always just catch and release; if the fish ever completely swallows the hook or gets seriously maimed from it, then it becomes a different story. Hasn't happened yet though. It does feel a little weird hooking something, then tossing it back with a hole in it's lip.

---------- Do you ask that question often?
(\_/) 
(O.o)
(> <)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

setyabacksetyabacksetya wrote:

Fishing and indie rock are the two passions of my life. Makes perfect sense to me but I’m sure it’s odd. .


omg same.  and as i get older, caring less about indie and more about fishing. BUT I do probably the most nerdy kind of fishing possible. I micro-fish (And big fish when necessary) and keep a life-list of all my species, with accompanying photos. I’m up to almost 60 species. and I always catch and release with rare exceptions.   it’s basically all I think about. but don’t talk about it with most people because no one cares and/or understands.     I recall starting a fishing thread here maybe last year. it probably dropped faster than a 3 oz sinker in lake superior.

321 (edited by kate h 2018-07-18 13:08:54)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

If I'da known the fishing story woulda spawned so much enthusiastic commentary I'da started a new thread for it!

I do have a very serious question though, and I promise I'm genuinely curious and not casting aspersions at all.

Why is there such a thing as "catch and release?" I'm a passionate environmentalist and I just can't understand this. Now, don't get me wrong. I eat sustainably raised meat and eat some fish so I guess I wonder why folks don't just cook up what they catch? That would make more sense to me than throwing it back as Bob said, with a hole in its lip.

Does anyone know if this just doesn't bother the little fish-brained creature? Or damage them/expose them to more potential for infection? Or what insight is there on how catch and release affects the fish?

For me, I think fishing is a very handsome, very vigorous activity. Anyone ever see the Scottish TV show, Monarch of the Glen? I LOVE that show, and there's a lot of fly fishing that Archie and Hector and some stewards do and it's all quite good. But then they eat the fish.

I'd love for my man to bring me back some freshly caught fish to the campsite or cabin (I'm likely too chatty and impatient to fish myself). But then I'd want to fry it up and lay out a feast.

Someone explain to me the whole context — not just the human one — of catch and release, so I can better understand.

Re: The Official New Album Thread

It's a complicated answer with a fair amount of debate; there have been a few studies about it. Full disclosure, I'm hardly an expert, but I'll tell you what I can.

They certainly don't like getting hooked. Most of the time they survive, but sometimes they don't.

It depends on a lot of things: how resilient the particular species is, the extent of their injuries, how long they were exposed to air, and where they sit in that particular ecosystem.

Generally, if you hook one, and they don't damage their mouth badly in the reeling process, and they're not in the air that long, they're fine. They'll swim away and go on to feed fine and survive.

If you get a thrasher, and they really put up a fight and the hook messes them up, to the point where they won't be able to eat, it's best to kill them quick, take them home and cook them. If they thrashed so hard that they tire themselves out a lot, and they'll likely end up getting eaten by bigger predators, again, just put the fish out of it's misery quick, and cook them

With certain fish, you have to put them back properly. With trout, especially after they've been out of the water for a while and are tired, you can't just toss them back in; you have to grab them with both hands and rock them back and forth in the water a bit before you let go. They might just float away with the current, but they'll usually bounce back quick. If they're at risk for being eaten by any predators in that area, it's best to take them home. Sunfish, while small, are tough as nails. They put up a good fight, and are VERY resilient. You can just toss them back in and they'll very likely be fine. But they're also at risk of being nabbed by any bass in the area in their weakened state, so you have to take that into account.

It's important to be conscious of those things, and weigh one against the other if you catch and release.

Bear in mind, this is just my experience, and the more experienced fisherman on the board might know more

---------- Do you ask that question often?
(\_/) 
(O.o)
(> <)

Re: The Official New Album Thread

StefanMalkmus wrote:

It's a complicated answer with a fair amount of debate; there have been a few studies about it. Full disclosure, I'm hardly an expert, but I'll tell you what I can.

They certainly don't like getting hooked. Most of the time they survive, but sometimes they don't.

It depends on a lot of things: how resilient the particular species is, the extent of their injuries, how long they were exposed to air, and where they sit in that particular ecosystem.

Generally, if you hook one, and they don't damage their mouth badly in the reeling process, and they're not in the air that long, they're fine. They'll swim away and go on to feed fine and survive.

If you get a thrasher, and they really put up a fight and the hook messes them up, to the point where they won't be able to eat, it's best to kill them quick, take them home and cook them. If they thrashed so hard that they tire themselves out a lot, and they'll likely end up getting eaten by bigger predators, again, just put the fish out of it's misery quick, and cook them

With certain fish, you have to put them back properly. With trout, especially after they've been out of the water for a while and are tired, you can't just toss them back in; you have to grab them with both hands and rock them back and forth in the water a bit before you let go. They might just float away with the current, but they'll usually bounce back quick. If they're at risk for being eaten by any predators in that area, it's best to take them home. Sunfish, while small, are tough as nails. They put up a good fight, and are VERY resilient. You can just toss them back in and they'll very likely be fine. But they're also at risk of being nabbed by any bass in the area in their weakened state, so you have to take that into account.

It's important to be conscious of those things, and weigh one against the other if you catch and release.

Bear in mind, this is just my experience, and the more experienced fisherman on the board might know more

As good a take as any.

I definitely like to put things in historic context and so through that lens I have a great appreciation for like, everything from the primal nature of the hunt (or the fishing) as just beast engaging with beast and I love that, love the implication of hungering for that and going for it, to just the desire in modernity to be with nature and tuning out all the noise and testing the mettle of yourself against a far greater unknown than, say, a proscribed video game, or as Rumsfeld might say, a "known known."

My friend Laura's hubby Scott is a big time hunter — I mean he drops in on a bush plane to Alaska and Montana and Wyoming and stuff to bag moose and bear and big horn rams and all that. I know it costs the guy the really big bucks for such an excursion but it's both a passion of his and something that conveys status in his industry — big animal pharma. He also duck hunts in season, wild turkey, all that.

I think the hunt/fish part of it all I am totally cool with but my brother is a fly fisherman too and he is 100% catch and release. I'm like, "Paul, why don't you just have a big ol' fish fry or feast afterward?," and because his wife doesn't like fish and doesn't want to cook it he's like, "No, I just want to catch and release."

I may never be able to understand that piece of it but I'm not all up in arms about it, either. So many things to be concerned about environmentally today that have no precedent in history — obviously for the most part in the past people needed to eat what they caught so the pure pure sport of hunting and fishing is more of a modern convention. Still I'd say it's one we're called to examine given our current population scale mixed with habitat, species, and enviro impact.

So, that said, to me there's nothing like the fresh air, peace, mystery, and renewal of a camping trip and even more so if someone's off getting dinner on site. If there's freshly caught fish frying up to go with the getaway, well that's just a bonus!